A Study of Hell
Yes, God will pass judgment, but the sinner, by his own will and works, sets his final course. God’s holiness demands a penalty for sin. We either come under the penalty that Jesus already paid, or we pay our own penalty, in hell. The Bible teaches that all who reject Christ will wind up there as well because they belong to the devil. Jesus said, “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels…” (Matthew 25:41).
Higgaion and Selah are two words seen in verse 16 that are not really translated into English, yet with meanings we understand. They mean, meditate and pause. I’m going to try to give you a picture of hell that will revolutionize how you picture it. I want you to have something to “pause and meditate” on about all the lost of this world and their eternal home. I pray it will inspire you all to tell even one more person about Jesus.
What’s missing in hell? There is no light. How can we know that? We can know by reading God’s Word. He said it several times. Allow me to list the Scriptures I read about it.
1. “But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 8:12).
2. “Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 22:13).
3. “These (false teachers) are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved forever” (II Peter 2:17).
4. “These (false teachers) are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever” (Jude 12, 13).
Why is this place of fire, which usually produces light, so dark? Read the following Scriptures to understand.
1. “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved (John 3:19, 20).
2. “The Light of the world will not be there” (John 8: 12).
3. “But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them” (II Corinthians 4:3, 4).
There will be no laughter in hell either. Here is a list of Scripture that tells us what will be there, and be assured; laughter and joy are not present in hell: Luke 16: 23a; Luke 16: 24b; Matthew 8: 12b; Matthew13: 42; Matthew22: 13b; Revelation 14: 11a.
No one in hell is free. They all belong to the same devastation and torment as their father the devil.
1. “In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power…” (II Thessalonians1: 8).
2. “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever” (Revelation 20: 10).
The only ones in hell will be satan, his angels and all who served him while on the earth. To serve the devil, you just have to reject Jesus as Savior. There will be no saints in hell and no sinners in heaven, and, yes, I can prove it with Scripture. Read on.
1. “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47).
2. “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand” (John 10:28).
1. “And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish” (Luke 13:2, 3).
2. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him” (John 3:36).
3. “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire” (Revelation 20:15).
Do you have a problem believing that hell is real? I don’t. I believe the Word of God explains it in depth. Hell, in my mind, is a literal place designed by God for the devil and his angels. Scripture says so, and I believe it. Some of the everlasting torments of hell will be that people in hell will have their full memory, but they will lack hope. They will recall the laughter of children, but have no joy. They will remember the taste of cold water on a hot day, but have no relief. They will forever play in their minds the opportunities they passed up to be saved, but have no escape from that burning, sulfurous pit called by God the Lake of Fire.
To read the entire study, click here.
Copyright@ October 4, 2009